A great place for young people
The Coaticook region’s dynamic communities provide young people with a wide range of recreational possibilities, services, organizations and involvement opportunities to allow them to reach their full potential.
The Maison des jeunes de Coaticook, nicknamed La Mayz, is a welcoming hub for young people 12 to 17 years old wishing to join a rich and vibrant local community. Its leaders organize a plethora of activities, events and workshops geared toward guiding and empowering young people on the journey to becoming active, critically thinking and responsible citizens. Waterville is also home to a youth centre called Les Pacifistes, which offers the same services.
Other regional youth organizations include the Cercles de jeunes ruraux, the Cadets, the 5e Groupe Scout MRC de Coaticook, various recreational services, and the Centre d’action bénévole de la MRC de Coaticook (CAB) volunteer centre which, among other things, encourages young people to contribute to the well-being of their community. The centre is always looking for volunteers to play a helping role in various regional events and organizations. Across the region, 14 professional and volunteer sports and recreation organizations are available, covering a wide array of interests.
Places of interest to young people
- École secondaire La Frontalière de Coaticook (public secondary school)
- Collège Rivier (mixed private secondary school)
- Collège François-Delaplace (private secondary school for girls)
- Maison des jeunes de Coaticook, La Mayz
- Maison des jeunes de Waterville, Les Pacifistes
- Acti-Sports MRC de Coaticook (sports centre offering sports and physical activities)
- Centre récréatif Gérard-Couillard de Coaticook (arena)
- Centre sportif Desjardins
- Coaticook’s Beaulne Museum
- Pavillon des arts et de la culture
- Salon de quilles Riviera (bowling alley)
- Julien Morin stadium in Coaticook
The region provides young people with many student and seasonal jobs. We invite you to consult the Carrefour jeunesse-emploi de la MRC de Coaticook website for a wealth of information, guidance and support for young people aged 16–35 looking for employment. The centre’s team of experts also provides support for anyone interested in doing volunteer work or learning more about entrepreneurship.
The town of Coaticook is serviced by an urban transportation circuit. A transportation service known as Acti-Bus runs from Sunday to Saturday, according to summer and regular hours. We invite you to consult the schedule to find out more.
Acti-Bus also offers a daily route, namely Coaticook – Compton – Sherbrooke, for all regional residents wishing to travel to these locations for their work or studies. Young students requiring transportation to the Cégep de Sherbrooke enjoy discounted rates. Consult the schedule here.